Carly Fiorina at the NFRW's 38th Biennial Convention, Phoenix, Arizona, September 11, 2015.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: September 13, 2015
CONTACT: Lisa Ziriax, 405-596-3873 or email@example.com
Garners Nearly 50% on Combined Ballot
PHOENIX, Ariz. – In a presidential straw poll taken at the National Federation of Republican Women’s (NFRW) 38th Biennial Convention on Sept. 10-12, Republican presidential candidate Carly Fiorina won the combined “first and second choice” ballot with nearly 50% of the vote. FULL RESULTS AVAILABLE HERE.
Voters were asked, “Right now, who is your first choice for Republican nominee for President in 2016?” Fiorina received 27 percent of the 871 total votes cast. On the “second choice” ballot, Fiorina garnered 22 percent – for a combined total of 49%.
“It’s a very impressive number,” says national pollster Kellyanne Conway, who conducted the straw poll. “To have 17 candidates and one person get a combined ballot that high essentially means that in a crowded field, one out of two participants cast a ballot for her.”
Straw poll voters consisted of convention registrants -- almost entirely women -- from 43 states, Puerto Rico and the District of Columbia.
Candidates receiving more than 1% of the vote on the “first choice” ballot were:
Carly Fiorina – 27%
Ted Cruz – 20%
Ben Carson – 16%
Donald Trump – 14%
Marco Rubio – 6%
Scott Walker – 5%
Jeb Bush – 4%
John Kasich – 4%
“Carly is one of us,” NFRW President Kathy Brugger says. “Not only is she a Republican, a woman and a member, but she also has made a tremendous effort to reach out to us and cultivate a working partnership with our members. She is an excellent candidate and a strong, decisive leader, and we are confident that as more Americans get to know her, they will be equally impressed.”
Each of the declared presidential candidates was invited to address the NFRW convention, which was held in Phoenix Sept. 10-13. Fiorina and Cruz accepted the invitation and spoke Sept. 11 and 12, respectively.
Founded in 1938, the NFRW has thousands of active members in local clubs across the nation, making it one of the largest women’s political organizations in the country. The grassroots organization works to promote the principles and objectives of the Republican Party, elect Republican candidates, inform the public through political education and activity, and increase the effectiveness of women in the cause of good government.